Thursday, February 20, 2014

Las Virgenes Taqueria, Calabasas, CA

This bad boy has been on the list for a while.  Nikki, my BFF has been telling me about this place.  If you get off at Las Virgenes and head towards Malibu Canyon, this is inside of the Chevron Station.  This might be my biggest motivator to buying gas.  Not that I need an excuse to get tacos, but I always find them.  I was working out in Westlake and had to head to El Segundo.  We all know that I can't do that drive without tacos.  Can anyone go that long of a drive without tacos?  Probably not.

I did not try one of the breakfast burritos that Nikki says are amazing.  They only go three deep on the taco selections, I stuck with that.  Pollo, Asada, Carnitas.  Many get discouraged with such few.  I don't.  I get pretty excited about people sticking with what they know they can make great.  These guys are pretty solid.  I was a bit skeptical when I ordered.  I was leery watching the creation being put together, but they pulled through.  They have a menu worth looking at and ordering from if you are around.
Price is right.  Flavors are on.  I would do a breakfast burrito if I wasn't in the mood for tacos, but lets be real, I'm always in the mood for tacos, if you haven't figured that out, you are not a very good reader.  But please continue to read, it makes me feel good in my insides.  You go order at the back part of the market at the taco counter.  They give you a scribbled piece of paper.  You then go pay up front where you would buy gas.  Its the perfect set-up for them.  I dig it.  Lets get to the ratings.

RATINGS:

ASADA: 3, hard to get me past a 3.  It is good.  It is worth eating.  It has a hint of clove in there.  I liked that.  It was a little salty, but really good.  I think that sometimes it is really good when you can taste the salt in asada.
CARNITAS: 4, this was moist, crispy and really good.  It hit all of the points that a great carnitas should.  I was excited for each bite of this.  It was a delectable delight.  It is a must try if you are taking Malibu Canyon towards the beach.
POLLO: 4, clearly I liked this.  It was good.  Very tender and moist.  That is not always easy on chicken.  The flavors were nice.  It was also cut nicely.  Not too small to where it seemed like ground turkey, but it was a great bite size.
SALSA (ROJO):  3, this is solid.  It was really good stuff.  They give you some chips which were really good too.  I enjoyed them.  The salsa was nothing special, but very good.  Not enough spice for me, but the masses should enjoy.
That was my plate prior to me eating all of it.  Yeah, pretty cool looking.  The tortillas are small.  You are probably thinking that you aren't going to get your money's worth when you see the size of the tortillas, but they load the meat up!  It is mounded on there.  They have an avocado salsa that they call guacamole that they put on and it is delicious.  Pretty sweet and tasty.  The onions were firm and crisp, the cilantro was cold and fresh.

Glad I finally got here.  Special thanks to my BFF Nikki.  Thanks again to everyone who sends suggestions, re-tweets, re-posts and tells people about the Order of the Taco.  Here's your goodbye photo of Nikki and me together the day after Thanksgiving last year, also known as the day before The Great San Diego Taco Crawl of 2013.
Stay Excellent Everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Try carne asada burrito next time with jalapenos!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will! Everything there has been fantastic!

      Delete