Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Burrito Box (Vending Machine), West Hollywood, CA

Oh no he didn't!  Umm...yeah, yeah he did.  I went to the future, which apparently according to this billboard is in West Hollywood.  I'll admit it, I've been wanting to try this place for a very long time.  I first heard about it from fellow Order of the Taco Tacoteer, Nate.  Don't act like you are not a little bit intrigued by this.  I've had the two addresses, yes there are two of them in my email since January.  I was finally in town, had a few minutes and was in the area to get to one of them.  The other is in Century City.  Would I be satisfied or happy if this truly was the future of burritos?  No, but I wouldn't be sad either.  Before you make a stupid comment, yes, this was a burrito adventure, not a "Taco Adventure," but the Order of the Taco cannot pass up journeys like this one.  Had to try the vending machine burrito.

Phil, one of the two chefs that I get to work with at The Counter, he's the other Ramon, was with me visiting some restaurants.  We knew that we had to shoot over to this place.  Well, we knew because I text Phil on Sunday night that we were doing some Tacoteering and that it was going to be in a burrito kiosk, vending machine, whatever you want to call this thing.  We went the Mobil station in West Hollywood on Santa Monica Blvd.  We laughed about this as we pulled up.  I'll save you some of the suspense.  There is a Hugo's Tacos across the street and I was much happier at first bite with the burrito kiosk.  Phil is a cool, collective, quiet dude.  We noticed that the empty space next to the convenient store that the kiosk is located has a burrito and a pizza kiosk that are not operational.  Seems to be their "sales office."  Anyways, we went in and approached this bad boy.
Yeah, pretty impressive.  You are reading that correctly.  It has free WiFi.  I mean come on, that is impressive.  Five options to choose from.  Vegan Veggie with Brown Rice, Steak, Chipotle Chicken, Eggs/Sausage/Cheese/Hash Brown and Egg/Bacon/Cheese/Hash Brown.  We had to do one breakfast and one other burrito.  We chose Steak and the Bacon.  They were out of the steak which was sad, we went for the Chipotle Chicken.  $3.98 a burrito.  That is after tax, not bad.  Burritos take about a minute.  Here's the only thing that I really didn't like.  While you are waiting for your burrito they subject you to a "free song."  It was different with each burrito, but both sucked.  I mean I wouldn't expect great taste like Elvis Presley, but I would hope they know that burrito and taco enthusiast have not just a refined pallet, but a keen ear as well.
Yeah, they come out piping hot!  These puppies were on fire.  Credit cards only by the way.  Anyhow, they are in wax paper and seemed to be steamed.  Like I said, takes one minute.  They are then thrown into the orange sleeve and drop out the bottom.  You can add guacamole, sour cream or tabasco for minimal monetary commitment.  We opted to try these burritos in their natural state with no enhancements.  We grabbed some water from the convenience store that this thing is in and headed outside.  They list all ingredients on the outside of the burrito, they also list the calories and ingredients on the screen prior to your purchase.  I thought that was a nice touch, I guess.
Yeah, Phil was so excited that he had to call to tell people what we were about to do.  Yes, that is Dolly.  She was out with us.  I mean, come on, it was hot but beautiful, Dolly was out and about.  It was wonderful feeling my beard flap in the warm air of Los Angeles.  That is one of the hard parts about traveling, I really miss Dolly.  When Phil got off the phone, we attacked.  We split both.  I can't rate them.  It is too much of a curve to be fair.  Here's what I'll say, I would not go to WeHo just to get one of these, but if I'm in the area, you wouldn't have to twist my arm.  I am going back, I really want to try the Steak and I want to try their guacamole.  I mean dude, it's a vending machine.  How can you not be excited to try a burrito from a vending machine, then to find out its pretty good and pretty big?  Yeah, it was good.  Size was good, very fair.  I did paste the website below if you need more info about these things.

So this was a really cool adventure.  Phil in his first of hopefully more to come blogs, Dolly made a return to the blog since she doesn't fit in my carry on to the East Coast and a vending machine burrito.  Phil and I had some fun in between the hard work and good times in the restaurants that we help run.  Thanks to Dolly and Phil for really helping make this adventure a ton of fun.

Thank you to everyone for reading, re-posting, re-tweeting, telling your friends or foes, pending about how you feel about the blog.  I remind you if you are not already, check us out on Instagram, you'll never guess the name.  Of course, I know you already guessed it, the gratuitous photo for today is of Phil in all of his burrito eating glory.  He's not just a good guy, but a damn good looking guy.  Look at that hair, am I right?
Stay Excellent!

http://tastetheburritobox.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment