Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Letty's, Newbury Park, CA

So, Letty's.  I was introduced to this place by an former employee and then colleague.  We went here for lunch a couple of years ago, I like the place.  I liked it a ton.  The individual tried to not tell me where it was, that is his style, but I found it.  I have been back a number of times.  I haven't been there in quite sometime.  I've been eyeing it, keeping it in my TacoGraphic Memory for more then a few minutes.  They do a nice job on their meat.  Service is good.  You walk up, order at the register and then grab a table.  They bring everything to you and are really nice.  No pagers or BS like that, they may call out your order, but they get it to you.  I enjoy it.  I love that style of service.  It empowers the guest to really create their own destiny and gives the establishment the opportunity to blow people away with service.  They have a pretty great menu.  I've only eaten tacos every time I've gone, but the rest of the food looks pretty righteous.
Chips and salsa are brought to your table just after you order.  Nice touch and something that I know is coming but still don't really expect.  They bring a small bowl of chips and a bowl of salsa that is almost the same size.  It really is pretty great.  One of the coolest parts, is the place mats on the tables.  They have a great bunch of facts and history about Mexico.  Cool stuff, not junk.  It describes the flag, history of what Mexico has contributed to the world, has brief descriptions of the cultural influences and tribes that originated or conquered Mexico over time.
RATINGS:
CARNITAS: 3, decent.  Nothing that will blow you away, but it will not disappoint.  I did think that it needed a little bit of salt.
CHILE VERDE: 3, cumin and clove delight.  A little heavy handed on those spices, but worth eating.  I still think that chile verde belongs more in a burrito, but I wasn't doing burritos today.  I would suggest that if you are doing chile verde here, you get a burrito and let the rice and tortilla soak up that delicious juice.
LENGUA: 3, soft, not as buttery as I like it.  It was good, nothing out of the ordinary or above and beyond great.  I would eat it again, but wouldn't go out of my way to eat lengua there again.
PASTOR: 3, this is a pineapple bomb.  Aciote is there, hint of habenero, but a huge, sweet pineapple bomb.  I still enjoyed it, but want you to know what you are getting into.
ASADA: 4, something pretty special.  This was good stuff.  It was tender, chopped pretty fine, but really tasty.  It had a certain something that I really did enjoy.  I would strongly recommend that you get an asada taco if you are around the area.
SALSA ROJO: 3, pretty run of the mill.  Not too spicy, not too great.  It was good, but not great.
SALSA VERDE: 4, yeah, I really liked it.  They served it warm, borderline hot.  It was really tasty.  Lite cumin flavor and delicious with chips or poured on tacos.
SALSA: 5, haven't seen one of these in a little while.  This was some really good stuff.  I'm referring to the salsa that is served with the chips.  It is spicy, smoky, downright tasty.
Looks pretty tasty right?  Overall it really was.  I do like this place and will be going back.  I feel as though I've had visits with better flavors, but this one did not disappoint by any means.  A bit more cilantro and onions would probably help the flavor a bit, but like I said, I do like this place.

Thank you to everyone for reading.  This blog blows up more and more everyday.  Please keep telling people, I love to see more followers, views and likes.

Today's picture is one of the person who took me to Letty's for the first time, Brandon Hill, better known as Tiny B.  Tiny B is a huge baseball fan.  He loves the Yankees and coaches little league with amazing fire and passion.  I don't get to talk to Tiny B anymore and I miss our conversations of family, life and work.  He's in the pizza business now, no more burgers and fries!
Stay Excellent!

No comments:

Post a Comment