Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Wapo Taco, Hallandale Beach, FL

I will reiterate, if you don't already know, I don't tag pastor lightly, good or bad.  SPOILER ALERT, this is crazy good, with reason.  Do me a favor, read Yelp and then make the decision.  This is the Yelp issue.  It "can" be useful, but reality is, this place is misunderstood by non taco educated individuals.  Sorry Yelpers, but that is a fact.  I'd get into the whole story, but reality, I don't know if you can handle it.

Lets start today's story off about Emmanuel, one of the owners.  I can't help but notice a resemblance to James, one of the original members of the Order.
This guy has a great personality, a winning smile and helps make the experience all the better.  He was really quarterbacking this operation.  Here is a great photo of the team hard at work.
The menu itself is great.  Not too much, but great options.  They really stick to what their menu is and don't go for a lot of deviations, but they know what they are making and how to make it.
That is the whole deal!  Pretty sweet.  Lets talk about La Costras.  Manchengo cheese melted with meat cooked and put in there.  The then "burnt" cheese is rolled over the meat and put into a tortilla.  This is a must try.  It comes with some delicious guacamole.  They convinced me to try this and I really enjoyed it.
Tortillas are made in house.  The only thing that was tons more exciting than that is that they literally slice right off the cone into the tortillas.  
OMG, I want more right now!!!  They are seriously cutting from cone to plate, let me show you what I mean...
I literally watched them cut meat straight to the tortilla!  Over and over!  Yes, they do it.  The cut right to the tortilla.  It makes it just that much better.  Once again, some real street credit here.
Well oiled machine doing what they do!  These guys have a completely open concept kitchen so that you can see all that they are doing.  They are all working and not stopping.  The communication is excellent.  Each person does their part but in unison with the group.
RATINGS:
BISTEC: 5, holy moly. This is amazing, tender goodness.  Great stuff.  Tender, fresh, not some left over, over marinated junk that they are hoping you like, there is a plan in place and if you earned it, good for you, you are tasting some greatness.
CHORIZO: 4, this is Mexican, not Spanish like you are use to.  A bit more spicy, a little more layered in flavor depth.  Yeah, you are going to love it.  They know what they are doing with this, here is the hint, La Costras...
PASTOR de POLLO: 4, oh my goodness.  I mean, oh my goodness.  This is something tasty.  It has pineapple, it is sweet, it is pepper, it is spicy.  Yummy.  It would have been a 5, but the pork was well..
PASTOR: 5, yes, you read that correctly.  This rivals, but is totally different than Rincon Taurino.  This damn near shames Tacos el Gordo. Yeah, I too am blown away.  It caught me off guard.  I thought that it would be good, but this is so much better than I thought.  Sweet, spicy, hot, savory, it hits all of it.  You need to get there now.  Literally, right now.  OK, get up and go, it is time.
PICO: 2, please avoid and don't waste your time, it is homemade but almost tastes store bought, no bueno!
ROJO: 5, this caught me way off guard.  I did not believe I would find a 5 until I tasted this salsa.  It was unreal.  It has it all.  Get there now.  There is chiptole, there is tomatillo, there is just vegetables...yeah, go now and eat it.
VERDE: 4, they have two.  The one they give you is tasty and has avocado, the second doesn't and it is super delicious too!
Sweet looking spread, right?  Yeah, this places is so solid.  The people are even better, if you couldn't tell, than the food.  The pastor, and you know how I feel about pastor, is crazy delicious.  Salsa's are not to play with, they are amazing.  Seriously, amazing.  I think that this may have been, arguably, the best salsa that I've ever eaten in any country, state, planet, anywhere.  There is no exaggeration.

This place is a great addition to an area I come to often.  I'm very glad to have a great place to go to!  I want to say a huge thank you to the team of folks that were working on Monday night 11/24/2014 when I went into eat.  I also always have to thank the readers.  The folks that read, tell people, re-tweet, re-post and tell others.  Everyone knows that you are getting a gratuitous photo.  Today's photo depicts reality.  Judy the server, she's cute and sweet with some sass.  Francisco and Emmanuel the owners are there for business.  They are great guys, with amazing vision.  Me? Well, I look like an old Grizzly Bear there to eat and annoy the ones who are making things happen.
Stay Excellent!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment