Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Tipicos Dona Gloria, Herndon, VA

So yes, the Order is out in Virginia.  What a day.  I have to say one of the longer days I've had.  Many curve balls and crazy things.  Glad there was some Tacoterring around to help keep a happy focus.  The Tacoteering helped.  It gave me some good light through the craziness a day can show you in a few short hours.  You often get some kind of a "moral of the story" so lets not stop that.  Today's moral is, every shift comes to an end and even when the tacos aren't very good, you can still go get tacos and they will only remind you of how great some other ones are.  Tacoteering on days like today do make me really miss having great fellow Tacoteers joining me.  Tonight, I was a lone, hooded Tacoteer...
Just a man in search of the perfect taco and was checking out to see what Virginia had in store for us.  Sadly, not that much.  This stuff was not great.  I mean, not the worst I've had, but not too good.  I have been reading about taco places and taqueria's in the greater Reston area.  This place rated high for the area in everything that I could find.  I was pretty pumped when I found out it was walking distance from my hotel.  It was a bit cold with this beautiful 35 degree weather, but I mean, hey I was wearing a hood and going to eat tacos.

The menu is big and pretty expensive.  Five tacos for $14?  Umm hello this is really high.  I often am under $9 for that many tacos, oh yeah and they don't suck.  Truth be told, the chicks working there were really rude.  The service was super slow.  It took 21 minutes for me to get my tacos.  That was sad.  I took a pic from a bit away of the menu, you can't see prices, wanted you to see how big the menu is.  Pretty extensive.
The restaurant is small.  Really loud though.  Really loud.  They have a TV up, big screen that is super loud and obnoxious.  Really loud.  There was not a lot of salsa options, but at least they had a decent table set up and good hot sauces.  Oh yeah, one more time, pretty expensive.
RATINGS:
LENGUA: 1, yes, that probably was the worst lengua I've ever had.  It was flavorless, chopped too fine, way overcooked and really damn tough.  Not worth even thinking about.  I did one of those things where I had to shake my head at myself for even thinking of ordering lengua here.
CARNITAS: 1, again, tough, chopped small?  Yeah, it is tough and chopped and tough.  Not cooked till tender and shredded like carnitas is supposed to be.  I love cumin, not like, love.  But dude, this was like straight soaked and drenched in cumin.  It made me sad.  I kind feel like I wept on the walk back thinking that something spelled so beautifully could taste so bad.
POLLO: 3, yeah, pretty good.  Pretty damn good.  Light clove, cooked perfectly.  Moist and delicious.  Not over the top good, but worth eating.  I would go back to just eat a chicken something from there, maybe, probably not, but I'm trying to be a positive person tonight.
ASADA: 2, so close to being a three, but it was consistently, inconsistent.  Just not very good.  I thought is was just less the ok.
VERDE: 4, good stuff.  Little bit smoky, spicy, good.  A loose salsa, runny, but damn good.  Nice depth, again, a little bit of cumin in there, but the right amount for this salsa.

Yeah, so, this was not the tastiest adventure that I've been on.  It was ok, alright, not horrid.  It was nice to be eating tacos.  I will say this, the plate presentation is nice.  They do a great job of presenting.  The avocado sliver was cheap, but looked good.  Looks are not everything, flavor was what we were after, but hey, at least they looked good.  I will say I could not stop thinking about the tortillas from Las Equipales.  They are just so tasty.  These tortillas sucked that I had tonight.  That is the beauty and sadness of having such a great Tacographic Memory.

Thanks again everyone for reading, please do keep telling folks, reading, checking it out, sending suggestions.  We are still in search of a logo.  Something cool.  Something that means the order to you.  Give it a crack, let me know what you think.  Thanks again and Stay Excellent.

1 comment:

  1. You are interesting and have a different approach to tacos. Thanks for writing, keep doing it!

    ReplyDelete