Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Tacos Michoacan, Chino, CA

A couple of years ago I drove out to Chino and bought a whole hog for Christmas.  On the way back stopped by this place for a bit, yes tacos before 8am.  They were delicious.  As we have decided a whole hog is the way to go again this year, I knew I had to come back.  Breakfast tacos are great, at least these kind are.  They are just like lunch and dinner tacos only you get to eat them for breakfast.  Cilantro, onions, meat, salsa and tortilla.  I remember this place being so good, I remembered correctly.  I'll spare you the picture of the hog I'm smoking, but if you are doing the right thing and following the Order of the Taco on Instagram, you've already seen a photo.
Place has like 5 different names.  I stuck with the name on Yelp so you can find it when you are in Chino.  There are a few places that look good, but this place wreaks of street credit from the outside and I had a great Tacographic Memory from last time.
Kitchen is small and unassuming.  They produce what they need to.  The service is second to none.  The guys working there were crazy nice and cool.  They really invited us into their place and treated us like family.  Zacatecas maps and literature over the walls.  It is that awesome sense of pride that people have of their heritage that I love to see.  It is so cool to have and hold on to that pride.  They had different roasted salsas which are traditional to that part of Mexico.
Here is a picture of the menu at an angle.  Simple and sweet.  They don't make a ton of different meats, but hit some good varietal highlights.  I did see a couple of burritos go out and they looked solid.  Enough with the small talk, lets get to the ratings.
RATINGS:
CHORIZO: 2,
sad, sad.  Mine was OK, really a 3, but my brother's was burned.  It was not tasty at all.  I have to go 2 for the inconsistency.
CABEZA: 2, I did not care for this.  I thought that it should have been cooked a little bit more.  It was almost barbacoa like, but not great.  I thought it lacked flavor and could have cooked just a bit more.  This is coming from someone who likes steaks extra rare.
PASTOR: 4, I loved it.  Hit heavy with spices and seasoning.  Some might think it to be too much, I really thought that it was on point.
POLLO: 4, this is really good.  Really damn good chicken.  It was not overpowering, but well seasoned.  Not overcooked, but obviously cooked all the way through.  Juicy, tasty, nicely done.
CARNITAS: 4, texture could not have been better.  It was a bit crispy, but soft.  Very flavorful meat here.  It is some good stuff and you should try it.
ASADA: 3, this is some solid stuff.  Really good, but nothing that goes above and beyond.  I enjoy the flavor, I enjoy the taste, texture was on point.
SALSA: 4, this was so close to a 5.  If it had some heat, just a bit of a kick I would have bumped it to a 5.  Tasty stuff though.  Nice smoky flavor, but not overpowering, good flavor from the chilies, I just need the heat.  They did have two other salsas, they both fall under the same rating and explanation.
I enjoyed that instead of radish on the plate, they went cucumber.  It was refreshing and tasty.  Don't get me wrong, I love the radish, I enjoy the radish, but a cucumber change was nice for this trip.  I love when there are different salsas and they pair them with the appropriate meat.  It is such a nice touch.  They give you the option, I obviously told them to go for it.  They take pride in their food.  It did take a little longer, but was worth the wait.  They really want to make sure that it comes out the proper way.  The meat here is fresh people, it is obvious.  I was caught off guard by the chips and salsa that they brought out.  Didn't expect them and they were pretty stellar!
Thank you to everyone for reading.  Thanks for sticking around.  Please continue to tell others and share in the adventures.  I hear that the Order of the Taco might go Wings as a group.  Yeah, sounds pretty epic to hear we might go rogue for a day!  Stay tuned, I'll keep ya posted.  Don't forget to find us on Instagram and Twitter.  There are some delicious taco pictures that make it on there.  Well those and some of the crazy antics that I'm up to.

Today's gratuitous, goodbye photo is of the sign above the restroom.  Really love this sign.  I remember seeing it last time and have seen it before, but it just makes me laugh.  Hope you enjoy!
Stay Excellent!

No comments:

Post a Comment