Saturday, January 3, 2015

El Taquito, Miami, FL

Miami, round one was pretty disappointing.  Before we get into that, look at Matt hiding in the back of this picture.  He's so excited to go Tacoteering with us.  Yes, he did great and as always, I'm proud of him.  Kind of sad, Josh, Matt and I are back at it, Phil on his way to join us, but Fo is sitting this one out.  Fo is hiding in Georgia.
This is the entire restaurant.  Quaint, nice looking joint.  A few bar-stools to sit on that surround the tiny inside perimeter.  It works.  It is great for Miami, Coconut Grove.  You can grab your food fast and move on to the beach, or in our case back to work.  This place shows so much promise.  Simple operation, executable menu, heck of a location.  They failed, miserably.
Menu showcases an ease of execution.  I was a bit put off in the beginning when they don't have Cecina.  Menu isn't that big, don't be short when you have so few items.  If you are, apologize and have a reason.  The two guys working, did not seem to love it.  It is really obvious that they did not want to be there.  It really showed in the food that they were not into it.  We remained optimistic and ordered.  The encouraging part was the guy in the khaki shorts in the picture above had been in before and was getting a pretty large catering order, thought we might be on to something special.
Matt and I are there ready to order.  Josh was getting a bit of a birds eye view.  I'll stop beating around the bush.  PASTOR!  It broke my heart.  I am angry.  I wanted to start throwing chairs and screaming at them for bastardizing pastor.  It offended me.  You'll see below that this is a 1 on the rating scale.  It might be some of the worst pastor that I've had, ever.  I beg you to not go near their pastor.  You deserve better.  If you are reading this, you know you deserve better.  I'll continue the search in Miami.  I'll take that burden on my heavy taco shoulders.
RATINGS:
POLLO: 1, this was dry with no flavor, not taste, nothing.  It was just really weak.  It was also overcooked.  Yeah, no bueno.
ASADA: 2, this was just overly unimpressive.  It was just blah and there.  No real flavor, no real taste, just kind of there.  Bummer...
PASTOR: 1, this done pissed me off.  It was dry, it had no depth, really not much flavor.  It was almost forced.  The lack of care put into this was bad.  You can't put some seasoning and spices on pork and try to pass it off as pastor.
CARNITAS: 3, pretty standard.  Moist, flavorful, tender.  It was good, but did not set itself apart from the pack.  Not bad, not great.
CHURRASCO: 3, first time encountering and this was good.  I think from what I've read about it, well, not think, I know I could make it much better.  It had some nice flavor and the onions that were grilled with the meat was on point, nicely caramelized.
I think the fact of the matter is that the presentation sure outdid the taste.  It was cool packaging?  I like the boat with the tacos thrown in there.  It was cool to have Matt and Josh just getting work done and then getting some tacos eaten!  Churrasco.  Had never really come across this on my travels.  I'd say that so far I'm a fan, but am still skeptical.  This might have been the best thing that they did at this place, so keep that in mind if you go.

As always, thanks for reading, please tell people, re-tweet, re-post, get the word out about tacos and how we attack them.  I'm in Miami for a bit, send some suggestions, we are out on the prowl!  We are going to continue the search so you know where to go and where to get pastor.  You know that you need it in your life.

Today's goodbye, gratuitous photo is of a tree.  It's the tree that we parked below when we went to get our lunch.  It was a large beautiful tree, we were just so entertained watching people stare at it and take pictures.  I figured I'd take a picture and put it on here to say goodbye to you.
Stay Excellent!

No comments:

Post a Comment