Thursday, March 12, 2015

San Marcos Mexican Grill, Sherman Oaks, CA

A big shout out to the SFV.  Meetings this morning in the Valley, before we shot over the hill to get to Culver City, we had to do some Tacoteering.  Let me introduce you to Amy Kelley.  Amy is one of the amazing co-workers who I get to work with.  I was lucky enough to have Dolly with me today.  A few good days of riding have done me good.  If you are new to the blog, I always like to introduce people because if you don't know, it's not as much where or what you eat, but who you get to eat with, as long as its tacos of course.  Here's a picture of Amy.
Now that we know who was on the trip, lets talk about the place.  San Marcos has been on the radar for a short bit.  It claims authentic Mexican food, claim is pretty on point.  Handmade tortillas done in house, meat is all cooked to order, they do a pretty nice job.
Here is a shot from the outside looking in.  They have a modest looking building, the inside decor is pretty cool.  Chairs were large and comfortable.  When you sit down, they give you chips and a spicy chipotle bean dip.  This stuff was nicely done.  Really some pretty good stuff.  It was really smoky with a good texture.  Smooth, but not creamy.  I liked it.  You can grab salsas from their great salsa bar.
They have a variety of things to choose from.  Red onions, nice touch.  A bit of bite was a good change of pace to the normal white and brown onions that everyone else is doing.  Radish was fresh, limes were juicy, salsas were all pretty solid.  Enough about salsa, the sexiest, most exciting thing that I saw all day is pictured below.
That picture alone is why you should be following The Order of the Taco on Instagram.  It saddens me when I see how few followers take advantage of taco and pepper pictures that I'm posting.  If that picture doesn't get you hyped up for the day, I don't know what will.  Menu is pretty cool, they do some neat lunch specials daily, I of course just went after the tacos.
This is the menu board.  They do have some menus at the table, I didn't bring any pictures of it, you can pretty much guess what they have here.  Biggest complaint about this place is the napkins.  I feel like I went through near a thousand.  Granted, I'm a really messy eater, but still, those napkins were just too small.  They didn't do anything to make things better.  Enough of the jibber jabber, on to the ratings.
RATINGS:
PASTOR: 3, this is almost a 4.  It is different, good different, it is worth trying.  It doesn't go too far off the reservation.
LENGUA: 3, a solid 3.  Didn't blow my mind, as you know I like it a bit more shredded, but it was good.
ASADA: 3, this was pretty textbook goodness.
CABEZA: 2, I don't know why they couldn't get this one right.  Don't eat it here, it is the only thing that I did not enjoy.
CARNITAS: 4, yes, a true 4.  Texture was awesome, the flavor was incredible.  It had a nice smoky flavor to it, smelled great.  Don't miss out on this one.
TRIPA: 4, this might well have been my favorite of their meats.  This was close to a 5, but didn't hit it.  It was crispy, well seasoned and good.  If you like tripa, get over there and try this stuff.
GUACAMOLE: 4, this was a well balanced, lime flavored treat with chunks, fresh cilantro and love.
The spread was nice.  I enjoyed the red onion over the white and brown onion which most places do.  I know I already told you, but now that we did the ratings I feel like you needed to be reminded.  It added some color and the flavor was great.  I will go back.  I want to try this place again.  The tortillas as I said were pretty awesome.  They were light and fluffy, but not watery.  They were thick enough to stand up to the meat and not dissolve, but not thick and chewy.  Places that do their own tortillas always get some extra love from me, unless they suck and need to be burned.

Fun place, good times.  I'm proud of the job that Amy did on her first time, but we didn't get her to try any cabeza, lengua or anything that is out of her normal scope and that is sad.  It was fun taking her, next to go from the office is going to be Nicole and Amelia.  I'm looking forward to it.  These two are primed and ready for a Tacoteering adventure.  Going to have to dig deep to find a profound, delectable place that will make these ladies want to eat more tacos.

Thank you for reading, spreading the word and eating tacos, it is always appreciated.  Remember, if you like reading it, continue and tell your friends.  If you don't please still continue to read and tell people that you don't like.

Today's goodbye/gratuitous photo is of Amy trying to eat.  You know that I like to catch people in Tacoteering action, this photo is no different.  Amy is the Director of Marketing at the company that I work for.  She's brought some amazing life to what we do.  Fun facts about Amy, she doesn't like to give genuine smiles, only fake ones.  Her husband's name is Kevin and he is really cool.  She loves her dog and there are pictures of her dog all over her office and her notebooks.  She loves to be in the know and hates liars.  She likes the smell of the ocean and street fighting in Venice.  Enjoy the photo...
Stay Excellent!

No comments:

Post a Comment