Friday, March 27, 2015

White Rabbit, Winnetka, CA

I've seen the truck, passed by the joint 100's of times.  It says they have tacos, burritos.  Mike and I went on a short trip to a beer bar to try an IPA Shootout that they were doing.  We each had two beers and we decided to go Tacoteering.  We had a place or two in mind and then thought Filipino Tacos? Why not?
When you walk into this former Taco Bell, you are introduced to this menu.  The whole thing just fits.  The place is clean, the menu is simple.  You can see how this works so well as a taco truck.  They have their menu dialed in.  I was kind of shocked, they had to take our name.  We were the only people in the joint and no one else really came in, but OK, that works, I guess they are so married to their system that they had to stick with it.  It did take two people to take our order.  That was interesting.  At first we thought that one of them might be in training, but that did not seem to be the case.  One of the most interesting parts, is that there is a bed sheet that separates the front and back of the kitchen.  I have to say that it blew me away a bit, but hey, works for this place.
RATINGS:
CHICKEN ADOBO: 3,
pretty textbook chicken, not too shabby.  It was good, but didn't overly impress.
BEEFSTEAK: 3, asada esque?  It is good stuff.  A bit sweet, a bit salty.  Good little beef option.
PORK SISIG: 2, a let down for me here.  It is not that it was bad, maybe I built up the excitement too much in my head.  I was pumped to get this taco and it was a little less than OK.  Why a let down, its fried pork with jalapenos.
LONGANISA: 4, this is a chopped sausage and it was a total shock alert here.  Did not expect to like this all that much.  Actually I did not expect to like it and almost did not get it.  This was some tasty stuff.  It almost tasted like orange chicken.
VEGETARIAN: 4,  just a heads up, soy based.  Nice little vegetarian treat.  It almost tasted like pork and was some serious sweetness to it.  It went great with Sriracha.  Gave it a nice sweet and spicy balance that paired well together.
PORK TOCINO: 3, braised wok fried pork.  Yum, yum get me some.  This was a nice little go to that these guys put together.
PORK LUMPIA: 3, this is similar to an egg roll, but maybe better.  We asked the two cashiers helping us what one item we had to try and they sent us here.  It didn't blow me away, but it was pretty tasty.  Couple it with their homemade banana ketchup and you will enjoy with a smile.  One order is cut into six and it was a great little appetizer for us.  I mean come on, who doesn't like a little fried pork goodness?
That is the spread!  Yes, we got two of each meat and the lumpia.  This place is good.  This place is worth stopping by.  Did it really satisfy my taco craving?  No, but it was good food and anyone who is going to try doing some different tacos is solid in my book.  These guys are doing some cool things and I will be checking them out in the future.  I will warn you that they use sugar and a lot of it.

Thank you as always for indulging me with a read, it is appreciated.

Today's goodbye/gratuitous photo just entertained me.  It was on every table and was quite the advertisement in this joint.  If you aren't busy, you might want to join...
Stay Excellent!

No comments:

Post a Comment