Wednesday, April 29, 2015

El Indio Mexicano Restaurant, Northridge, CA

These are some of the hardest ones to write.  A place of great childhood memories.  A joint I've been to well over a few hundred times.  Stopping by for breakfast at 630am or after a fun night at 4am.  This place has seen it all from all times and hours.  When I was younger, I use to call it the star place because it had a large monument sign with a star on it.  I loved the chili verde burritos that they would make.  I think the food is still good, but a cry from where it use to be.  If the question is being asked if I still love going here, the answer is a quick yes.
This menu has changed color and design more times than I could ever keep track of.  The prices seem to still change almost daily, but the place remains affordable.  What hasn't really changed is the options.  This place has always stuck to the same things.  They know what and how to make great stuff.  They stick to what they know.  Some of the recipes have changed slightly, but never have strayed too far.  If you are doing your Lenten fasting, their bean burrito is really second to none.  If I was rating that bad boy it would be a 5.  It has great flavor and is consistently one of my favorite things to order when I go.  Truth be told, I almost ordered it when Alexander and I went, but he told me that he wanted me to write about this place since I hadn't yet.
There is some indoor seating if you don't want to enjoy the ambiance created by the corner of Balboa and Roscoe.  I will say that Friday and Saturday night when the night club that is attached is popping, the inside seating is not a bad option.  It causes for less distractions from your taco dining experience.  You can still see the fun and crazies, but you miss out on some of the RIF-RAF.
These colors are newer.  They do a good job of updating every so often.  They change up the colors, paint and try to keep the place appealing.  I hope that they never stray from keeping it simple.  That is always the fear, but as long as the guys who have had the place for a while are there, I don't fear there to be any issues.
So that is Alexander in attack mode.  I was going to put this further down in the blog, but had to put it here.  He is one heck of a #Tacoteer.  He loves his tacos and is always trying to get me to take him out for tacos.  I had given him the option before archery to have breakfast or get tacos right after and he obviously opted to go to tacos after archery.  I know what you are thinking, great call.
Quick shot of our food before it was attacked and eaten by Alexander and I.  It is like the calm before the storm when you see tacos wrapped like that in front of the two of us.
RATINGS:
PASTOR: 3, this was just OK today.  They have done a better job, but probably not in years.  Please don't misunderstand, I have eaten it many times before and will again, but it is no RT or Tacos el Gordo.  It was a bit overcooked and was almost too fatty.
CARNITAS: 4, this was exactly the way that I like it.  It was tasty, it was a bit salty.  Nicely shredded, not overcooked but a bit of crisp from throwing it on the flattop to warm it up.
ASADA: 3, good stuff.  I've had it here as a 5 before, but you are only as good as your last shift, and that puts them at a big 3 today.  There was nothing bad or negative I can say about it, in the same breath, there was nothing impressive or above and beyond here.
BUCHE: 4, I really like the way that they do their.  It is good.  Really good.  Flavorful, a bit to chew on but it sure isn't gum.  They crisp a bit of the outside, but leave you some hearty meat to enjoy on the inside.  They don't chop it too small or leave it too big.
LENGUA: 3, pretty textbook stuff here my friends.  It is left a bit large, I personally like it shredded, but it is tasty.  Not overdone, but well seasoned and nice flavors to it.
SALSA VERDE: 4, this is a hidden gem.  It is sweet with a kick, bright green with tons of smooth, balanced flavors.
Like I eluded to earlier, the food has changed, but only slightly.  I read the Yelp reviews and am taken back by the recent negativity.  The complaints about bad service is something I have NEVER experienced here.  They have always treated me wonderful.  Not just the guys that I've seen there for over 30 years, but everyone that works there.  I've seen the long timers working with their kids there and it is so cool to see that evolution.

If you are confused by the streets that I put, understand that there are a few locations.  The closest one, the one that I now frequent the most is on Tampa and Roscoe.  I internally struggle on which one I like better.  From a pastor standpoint, Tampa, from a bean burrito, Balboa.  Most other options are pretty neck in neck.  There are other locations, many places with similar names, but this one will always be known to me as "The Star Place."

A huge thank you to everyone for reading, re-posting, re-tweeting and telling others about the blog.  Thrilling trip here down memory lane.  There is some good stuff here and I do hope that you go by and try the place.  You will not leave upset from a culinary standpoint.

Today's goodbye/gratuitous photo is of Alexander shooting his bow and arrow.  He shoots every Sunday morning.  Pretty fun to go and watch him.  He's not too bad at it.  I will say in my opinion that it is a bit more fun to watch Jui Jitsu, but this ain't too bad.  Notice the LA Kings hat, always represent the greatest team in the league, always.
Stay Excellent!

No comments:

Post a Comment