Thursday, April 16, 2015

Loco, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

I know what you are thinking, yes, this is my first Asian, blog.  Loco is a joint that we stumbled upon in Kuala Lumpur.  Yes, we were out searching for tacos.  I mean, we'd been here for two days, we have to do some Tacoteering.  There is a place that we've heard we have to go to, I've been reading all about it, but that would have required transportation other than our feet.
This is the inside of the restaurant.  They were proudly advertising a pool table upstairs.  They had a number of infused tequilas advertised on a chalkboard.  I stuck with the watermelon water, that was a for sure mistake as it was not very tasty.  Under our table they had some incense going, it was not the most pleasant smell and did not make me want to eat more food.  The place carries only Tabasco for hot sauce.  I don't blame them for the lack of sauces, it is a KL thing.  They are lacking in the hot sauce department.  They are missing out on some great stuff.  They have a chipotle salsa at this restaurant, might have been the best thing that I had here.  It was pretty tasty, spicy, balanced, good.

STOP

We needed to interrupt for a moment and let you enjoy a picture of Josh and me Tacoteering.  I know what you are thinking, "damn these two guys are hot."  Thank you, we are modest and appreciate the staring and glaring, we don't mind the gawking.  It's all good take a moment, soak us in.  Josh's birthday is this week, does he look older?  I don't think so, he still has his youthful glow.

The menu is pretty cool.  There is a good variety, they do try to hit the Mexican dishes.  They do stray off the path a bit and hit some other Latin dishes, but we will absolve them from sin on this one.  We stuck with the street tacos.  We had to try to go with what the Order of the Taco and participants are getting everywhere.  Looking at the menu, don't be alarmed by pricing.  Remember that the prices are in MYR, not dollars.
Table set-ups are pretty neat.  They have the napkins set to look pretty, heavy silverware and the table tops themselves are pretty rad.  I think the decor did a nice job of matching Kuala Lumpur and their overall "Mexican Theme."
RATINGS:
BEEF: 2,
 not a fan.  No flavor depth, pretty boring and the pieces were so unevenly cut, but they tried to make it look uniform.
CHILI CON CARNE: 3, I don't really know what this was.  I know what chili con carne is, but I don't know what this thing really is.  It was not bad, it almost tastes like mutton, but wasn't.  It gets a 3 because it is unique and something that you should try if you are Tacoteering in Malaysia.
DUCK: 2, a bit sad while eating this one.  I love duck.  I love duck out here in Malaysia, but this duck was not too tasty.  It was tough, but still shredded, the flavor was lacking.
LAMB: 3, oh the lamb out here.  It is a real treat.  It tastes so good.  They don't get higher because it was so far off the reservation from how it would be cooked South of California.
PRAWN: 3,  there was no way I was shying away from the prawn taco.  I was expecting a larger prawn, instead there were a few small prawns in the taco.  It was cooked excellent and the tastes were just on point.  Smooth and good.
CHIPOTLE SALSA: 4, this was some pretty good stuff.  It had a light smoky flavor with a soft smell.  It kicked you a little in the front but finished smooth with a little tingle at the very end in your throat.
Kudos to these guys for hitting local fare.  They made sure that the offerings line up well with the food that the locals would eat, but still try to go true to what the tourist would want.  Flour tortillas, yeah, I'm still not a fan.  I mean, they have their place, but not on a street taco.  These were really thin flour tortillas, and I did kind of like them, but NOT FOR STREET TACOS.  Man, this is burning me up still.  I don't get all the "stuff" they put on the tacos.  If you want to call it street tacos and put words like Tijuana on the menu, then make a true street taco.  Call it something else if you want to make it with all this kind of stuff like corn, tomato, sauce, lettuce and whatever else was on this thing.  Side note, there is corn in darn near every dish out here, but NO corn tortillas, not even in the grocery store, these poor souls are missing out on a gift.

The background had a VHS quality recording of music videos from the 90's.  It was not much of my speed.  The place was clean, the staff was a bit aloof, but very polite and nice while we were there.

Thank you to everyone reading, we are going to try to hit another place here in Malaysia soon before I get back to the US.  Please tell your friends, show them the blog, re-post, re-tweet.  If you hate this thing, tell the people you don't like.  All publicity is appreciated.

Today's goodbye/gratuitous photo is of the Petronas Towers.  This is the view that I have from my hotel room at night at the Istana Hotel in Kuala Lumpur.  It is not the worse thing to see before you go to bed at night, but sure isn't as majestic as the picture of Josh and I above!
Stay Excellent!

No comments:

Post a Comment