Friday, September 6, 2013

Cook's Tortas, Monterrey Park

I was asked a bit ago if I like Tortas.  Well, I thought that was a really stupid question, of course.  So one of the fabulous people I get to work with is Ramon.  Ramon knows what he is talking about.  He made some pretty amazing salsa and asada last week for a few of us and I held him in high regard before, but higher regard after.  At the end of our meeting the last night, he asked if I wanted to get some tortas on Friday.  You'll never guess what I said...this took us to Monterrey Park, CA.  Southern part of East LA.


Here's the deal, the place is fantastic.  They have great tortas, no tacos or anything else.  They stick with what they know, and for this, I thank them.  It is nice for people to do what they know how to do.  Side items were all over the place.  I would never had expected the sides that they have, but was happy that they have them.  Tabbouleh that was out of this world, delicious macaroni salad, I mean you would be shocked.  Everything is made from scratch.  These guys really put some time and thought into making food great.  The celery and pineapple water was second to none in the beverage world.  Menu is great, huge chalkboard that guides you to what you are looking for.


The menu is really cool.  They options are torta limitless.  I mean there is no way that you don't find something that you really want.  There is cool stuff all over the place.  No matter what your fancy, you will find that kind of torta.  Ramon and I maximized our lunch today.  We ordered two tortas and split them.  We got the Ranchito which was excellent.  Chorizo, Asada, napolito salsa, beans, spicy guacamole and queso fresco.  What a delicious treat.  This thing was loaded with creaminess, a mild spice and plenty of flavor.  It was just down right yummy.  The other one we ordered, yeah you guessed it, La Diabla.  Holy moly this was delicious.  I loved this thing.  Spicy, yes, but I honestly expected a bit more of a kick.  I would order it again in a heartbeat.  Chicken, chile de arbol, jalapeno, habenero, guacamole, cheese, beans.  I'm missing it so much just typing about it.

Rating this is a bit different then tacos, but lets give it a shot, I mean, that is what I do right?
ASADA: 3, it was what you'd expect, good, nothing amazing
CHORIZO: 4, this stuff was tasty.  Really good.  Ground up, not not too much, spicy, but super flavorful.  You need to try it, mixed with asada, they both just get better.
CHICKEN: 5, yes, you have read that correctly.  It was so soft, it melts in your mouth.  I mean that was a WOW piece of chicken.
SIDES: 4, they were good, but they were just so unexpected.  They do a nice job and side items are strongly recommended.  Above and beyond.
SALSA:  can't rate as they were all on the sandwich, sorry, I think they would have exceeded the three mark...
RESTAURANT: 4, with only tortas on the menu, they can't get a five.  People like a bit more option.  They get a 4 because they make these so damn well and that is all that I need when I'm in there!
TORTAS: 5, you'd be hard pressed to convince me that there is a better place to get a torta.  They do it well.

Needless to say, you might be reading this thinking, "I don't normally drive past the Atlantic exit on the 60 freeway."  Let me give you friendly advice, do it.  It is so worth it.  If you are USC, you are about 10 miles away and can get there in minutes.  It is a great place, with great food.  They are slightly slow, but you are getting made to order great food.  We really enjoyed the time and the meal.

Ramon gets a very special thank you for being a great friend, excellent co worker and all around awesome dude.  He is a tri-athlete, has a big smile and great family values folks.  He currently lives in Carson, but is probably moving back to West Covina.  Ramon, thanks for the time today brother, it was great.  I'm sorry that I have to call you "chubby bunny," you'll know who it is from...

Thanks again to everyone for your help and thanks for the suggestion from readers.  I will hit them all, it just takes some time.  Thank you for reading, please keep telling your friends and getting the word out.  Don't forget to send Logo Designs, we need something for The Order!  Stay Excellent!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment