Thursday, October 10, 2013

El Indio, San Diego, CA


The sign is pretty neat.  I loved seeing it when I passed by the other day and driving up to it today.  It is kind of big and obtrusive.  It says, "hey we are here."  This place had a ton of potential to be a bust.  I'll save you the agony of waiting, it was not.  I would go back to this place.  I'm glad, because after my Houston trip with two bad visits in a row, I was scared after Lucha Libre.  I mean Lucha wasn't horrible, but I'm in NO rush to go anywhere near back to the place.  The menu was a bit big, I only took a picture of one of the many sections.  They had a plan.  A theme, not trying to be this crazy place, just a place of excellence in a traditionally no traditional way.  I think they did damn well.


So, yeah, they are pricey, or are they?  They look pricey, but if you look at the whole menu and some of the deals they run, they are legit.  Not greedy, just trying to make a buck.  As every one of these goes, I'll set the tone for you.

It was a cool breezy night after a crazy day of burgers making fun.  I'm lucky I really do like my job.  Anyways, it was cool and breezy.  The air was coming off with a great salty smell off the Pacific.  Ramon and I were enjoying that part of the night more then anything.  It is just short of a two mile walk for us from the airport to our hotel.  We have enjoyed the walk every time so far, but tonight's was the best.  We went ahead, jumped in his car and headed out.  As we were headed on a one way street, some idiot was driving on the wrong side of the street, we were really lucky and happy that we did not get into a wreck.


Here is the salsa bar.  Pretty simple.  Pretty good.  Their salsas were all ok, nothing that blew us away, but not too shabby.  I do have to say it was nice to see them stick with what they know.  They make their own corn tortillas and their own corn tortilla chips from that.  These salsas were good for dipping.  They wouldn't let us back to take any pictures, but said we could take them from the line.



Let me point out, these tortillas and chips are not nearly as good as Carnitas Uruapan, but solid.  They do a nice job.  I would go buy a bag of their huge chips and some salsa.  Nice little snack right there.  Ramon and I really tried to get a huge variety of what they do.


Our lay of the land was their nachos, street tacos, veggie enchilada, carnitas tamale and their famous mortiditas.  Motiditas are bite size.  They take their taquitos and drench them in nacho cheese, some salsa and jalapenos.  This is a good call.  Not something I'd have every time, but damn good.

RANKINGS:
CHIPS: 5, they are good.  Big, tasty, nice.  Great for nachos and dipping.  I would love to try some chiliquiles made with these bad boys.
MORTIDITAS: 4, though they are the best I've ever had, they are the only.  I think they might be a bit rich with all that friedness and nacho cheese excellence.
SALSA: 3, they were good, but none really stood out.  Nothing really to write home about here, pretty average.  The tomatillo when it was warmed up and on the food was good, tart but sweet tomatillos.
TAMALE: 3, tamale was awesome.  Really awesome.  It is worth eating, I did like it, but nothing amazing.  For sure not some frozen junk.  Really good stuff here, just nothing super memorable.
ENCHILADA: 4, yeah, this is really nice.  Something really special.  Veggies were really good, not over cooked, had a little bite, loved them.  The tortilla was soft and sauce was perfect.  Flavorful, no where near overpowering.
GUACAMOLE: 3, not bad, not amazing.  Worth having if you like guacamole, if you are really into guac, you won't be impressed.
NACHO CHEESE: 4, yeah, I just felt like rating it.  We both thought it was pretty good.  Didn't think I would like it, but they do a nice job with a basic, normally ignored kind of "filler."
TACOS:
ASADA: 2, that might be generous, we are teeter tottering on a 1 here folks.  Kind of tough and just not very good.  Flavors were off and junk.
CARNITAS: 4, yes 4.  Really liked it.  Moist, flavorful, really nice.  They did well here.  Might have been my favorite part of the meal aside from Ramon's company and yes, they did beat out the chips which scored higher.
POLLO: 1, SUCKED.  Canned tomatoes on nasty chicken.  Umm, yeah.


There is Ramon thinking about the food.  He is such a trooper.  Look at those guns attached to his shoulders.  If you see him, please tell him that he looks nice.  He is very self conscious.  You can tell when I'm not giving him enough attention, he posts the "anonymous" comments on the blog.

Best part about the restaurant was the girl working there.  She did a great job guiding us towards the right stuff, telling us about the restaurant.  She was a nice girl.  Great interaction with all guests, not just Ramon.  Look at Ramon drink, he makes it look so easy.


Check this place out if you are in the area. It is a couple of blocks from Lucha Libre, but it is so much better.  We are going to hit another place or two or more in the next week while we are down here.  Thanks everyone for reading, please tell your friends.  Stay Excellent!

No comments:

Post a Comment