Saturday, October 26, 2013

El Rancherito, Reseda, CA


I really didn't know where I was going today.  Smoky, the Troll, the Juggernaut and I went to pick up Papou from the airport.  He was flying back from a week long trip in Orlando.  The kids and I were very excited to pick him up.  We were of course rocking to a whole lot of Elvis on the way to LAX and back.  Yes, that made it better.  Were we dancing and singing?  Maybe, you take a guess.  You try not dancing and singing to that magical voice.  Ok, I guess I have given away the answer and admitted it.  We were dancing in the Prius.  When we picked Papou up, he said that he was hungry.  I threw out the Tommy's suggestion.  Yeah, I do, I love that place.  He countered with "yeah, that is fine, I do owe you a Tommy's run, but we can get tacos if you want instead."  Yes, I take that as an open invitation to go Tacoteering.  So, we did.

We drove up the 405 until we hit the Valley.  I just wanted to find a place in the Valley today.  I just kind of drove until Taco Destiny brought me to Saticoy.  I don't really know why.  I've never been to this place.  Passed by it, seen it, but never really looked at it.  It is on the South side of the street.

El Rancherito has a butcher shop, small convenience store, and a taqueria.  We went in for the taqueria, but I might be back their soon for the rest.  Clean place, damn busy for a Saturday before noon.  They have a few tables, a small salsa bar, but don't go for the salsa.

Lets get to the nitty gritty...

RATINGS:
ASADA: 3, looked dry, but was not.  Meat was good.  It had a nice char flavor, but really good.  Seasoned well.  It was what you should think of when you think asada. It will not blow you away, but is really good.  I mean, this is prototypical 3.  I liked it.
POLLO: 4, this was really good stuff.  Loved it.  Really did love it.  It was tender, juicy, well seasoned.  Eleni (the troll), Jason (the Juggernaut) both loved it.
PASTOR: 2, this was borderline.  I mean damn close to a three.  It missed because it was overcooked.  It was just OK, and bad ok, not great ok.  You know what I'm saying?  Seasoning was just alright.
CARNITAS: 3, another almost one up.  This is almost a four.  It is good stuff.  It is one of those things that you are rooting for, but it is just too average.  That is not to say that you shouldn't order it, you won't be let down for sure.
LENGUA: 2, yeah, this was not on the brink of anything aside from a one or going in the garbage.  It was junk.  Not good, flavor sucked, cut size sucked, just not good stuff.  Please, do yourself a favor and go to Tacos Mexico up the street.
BUCHE: 3, this is textbook.  Not great, not bad.  I'm on a huge Buche kick since Tacos El Gordo in San Diego.  Good stuff, I'd come get it from here, but it sure did not make my day better.
SALSA: 2
VERDE: 2, this is one of those "ok" 2's.  Not nasty, but not good.  It was tolerable.  Yeah, that is the best way to describe it.
ROJO: 1, umm, yeah this was like a little bit of peppers hydrated and but in a blender with tons of lime juice.  Way too much lime juice.  I love lime juice, but this was junk.  Way too much lime juice.  SUCKED
JALAPENO: 4, yes, this saved the score on the salsas.  When I point out just salsa, I mean the collective bar.  The jalapenos were great.  Fried and good.  Nice spice.

Alright, so those are the thoughts.  The people that work there are all great.  So polite, so nice.  The chips were really good.  I probably should have rated them, so I'll sort of rate them, they are a 4.  Good stuff.  Back to the people.  They were nice to the kids, nice to everyone in line.  There were folks from all walks and sorts of life in here and the people working there were great.  Yes, bilingual in this joint.  Really nice folks.  Menu is extensive and I'd go in there and order a plate if I wanted a full, not just delicious taco meal.  Plenty of fish and other dishes.  Many great specials that were all over the place.

Well, this has been a week of ups and downs.  High, highs and low, lows.  Tacoteering is a positive thing.  I hope that you are enjoying the blog and telling your friends.  Thanks for reading and for your time.  Stay Excellent!

No comments:

Post a Comment