Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Taqueria El Rey Del Taco, Doraville, GA...100th BLOG

100th post!  Started this little bad boy last July.  We have gone on many adventures, this is our 100th post, so I want to start by thanking everyone for reading, I hope that y'all have enjoyed the adventures as much as I have!
Had a very adventurous trip so far, it now comes to an end as I head back to the City of Angels tomorrow early morning.  Can't think of a better way to wrap this trip up than a great adventure with a great friend and fellow Tacotter, Forrensy.  Fo and I have Tacoteered in a few states and have gone on some great adventures.  Today's did not disappoint.  Nino the KM recommended this spot, and he did well my friends, he did well.  It was a bit of a drive, traffic was horrendous, but it was perfect.  It gave us time to catch up, tell stories, talk about future restaurant openings and taco adventures.
This was our chariot.  Fo's Jeep.  There he is pumping his power!  It was a great ride to and from the Taqueria.  We really did enjoy our time catching up.  It was raining, pretty hard, which I enjoyed.  I have not seen rain in a while.  I live in Los Angeles, we are in a drought, there is not much rain, not much rain at all.
I really appreciate their hours of operation.  They are not afraid to be open and serve delicious food.  Fo said that he has been here in some of the later hours and that the food is just as good and the service is just as great.  Really love what they are doing.
The kitchen is simple and perfect.  They just happily crank the food out and the people working there were great.  All so nice, all so attentive.  It was a really cool experience.  It is amazing how much nicer the experience can be when the people working there are great and don't act like total punks.  I will say that my company was unbelievable.  Fo is a great friend and a great guy.  Fo and I met about a year ago and have done multiple restaurant openings.  We have become quite close and with our good friend Josh Razana lead a great core of trainers to open restaurants.  The Counter is as lucky to have us as we are to have The Counter.  We enjoy working long 12-15 hour days and then enjoy grabbing tacos wherever in the world we might be.  It really helps make the trips most excellent.
I wanted to send this picture of Fo's phone.  OK, not really, that just happens to be in the shot.  They come to your table with three delicious salsas, chips and a cup of limes.  I don't know if there is a better set-up for Tacoteers.  This was perfect.  The chips were good, they did not fry them there, but they did not taste cheap or stale, they were really damn good.  It was nice.  Lets get to it!
RATINGS:
BUCHE: 2,
this was not very good.  It was not cooked very well.  The seasoning was pretty solid, but the cooking of it sucked.  It was boiled, not grilled or sauteed afterwards.  It did not get the time and attention needed.
BARBACOA: 3, not too bad.  It was solid.  Seasoned well, not overdone, shredded nicely.  Some small bones in it, but that really doesn't faze me, good barbacoa should still have some small bones.
SUADERO: 3, oh this is so close to a 4.  It is good, but I think back to Tacos el Gordo in Chula Vista and it makes this a 3.  I would order it again, it is good, tender and cut nicely.
LENGUA: 4, this was tender goodness.  I really like this.  I would recommend this to any lengua lover.  It is really good stuff.  Not too much seasoning, you really get to taste the meat and it is good.  Texture was on point.
ASADA: 4, on flippin point!  This was good.  Tender, tasty, seasoned nicely.  This was very well taken care of.  They got good meat, the did not over season it, but they did season it enough.  I was a big fan and if you like asada, are looking for a great starter taco if you are young in your Tacoteering, this might be the perfect taco for you.
PASTOR: 4, holy goodness, this was close to a 5.  Really close.  This is almost RT good.  Perfectly seasoned, crispy but not hard, sweet but not too sweet.  There was more than just a light hint of pineapple, but it was perfection on that point.  It really made me smile.
TABLE SALSA: 4, this was so good.  Might be a little, just slightly spicy for the average eater, but so damn good, I couldn't get enough!
JALEPENO SALSA: 4, this is not as good as mine, but really tasty.  Their texture was perfect, they need to boil it a little longer, not add so much milk and this could be a 5.  Really good.  I loved it mixed with the table salsa on my chips, try it, you'll be happy!!!
HABENERO SALSA: 4, this was good.  Not my cup of tea so to speak, but a balanced salsa with great flavors, I approve, and we all know that is important.
The grilled onions on top were stellar.  Not too much, not overdone, but so damn tasty.  The tortillas were made in the restaurant.  They would fall slightly apart, but they were so tasty.  They were some of the best tortillas that I have.  They were not as good as Chef Zadi's, but if I were to rate, his were a 5, theirs are a 4.  Very nicely done and it really made the tacos that much better.  The tacos were also huge.  You could get the store tortilla tacos for $1.10 or the handmade tacos which were huge for $2.  LOVE IT!  Totally worth it.

Very special thanks to Forrensy.  He is a great guy, great friend and one hell of a Tacoteer.  This was a stellar adventure, not just because of the tacos, but because I got to see a great friend.  We missed Josh, but still had fun.  I'm the lucky one, I get to see Josh often, I'll see him before the week is out!

Thank you to everyone for reading, re-posting and re-tweeting.  I'm shocked an humbled by how this thing has grown in the last year.  It really is awesome and makes it even better for me everyday.  Thank you so much.

Today's goodbye photo is of Fo and my bringing out the sillier side of Tacoteering.  If you follow me on Instagram, you've seen the photo, but here it is, us toasting the 100th blog and a great adventure with smiles!
STAY EXCELLENT!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment