Thursday, December 19, 2013

Taqueria Jalisco, Los Angeles, CA

The twists and turns of life continue as they do for everyone.  Work is so busy for everyone this time of year.  I am very included in that this year.  Many things going on.  Busy, busy, busy.  I needed to clear my head.  Just unwind for 20 minutes.  I did.  Today I did it at Taqueria Jalisco.  I was driving from Built to Home Office in Culver City.  I took a slight detour down Washington.  A little North East of La Brea there is a place, can you guess the name?  I'd never heard of this place, I was driving down the street and saw it, pulled over, parked and went in.  Neat joint.  Sort of.

I went in, the guy working there was rude.  Really rude.  He was young and i guess felt important with that register in front of him.  I tried to act like I was impressed.  The menu is solid.  Lots of stuff, but really not too much.  I think a good variety and very clean for the area.  The place looked nice.  They have all sorts of things, and lucky for me, more meats then they display on the menu.  I was very happy when I asked if they had lengua and the answer was yes!
So that is the whole menu.  No pricing on there, but the tacos are only $1.26 a pop, so I don't think that they are being stupid here. Pictures were typical, the food looked good, but no stylist was used in making these photos.  Pretty simple.  Oh yeah, if you didn't see the little cardboard sign, which is always my favorite, cash only.  Yeah, I know, the place is pretty cool.  I obviously liked it.  I mean, how could I not like it?  Small, quaint, cheap, tacos, smelled right.  I was happy that my Taco Destiny took me here.
You can see back there while they are working, which is great.  It is easy to see what is going on back there and they do it all right.  They are quick to make the food.  There was only two people back there working, and they were making it happen.  Meat was kept hot and they did a great job of getting food out quickly.  Pretty steady flow of folks the entire time that I was there.  It was nice to see a place busy like that.  I like seeing these smaller places packing in the people in.  Dine in and carry out both seemed to be thriving.  What did I really think?  It was just ok.  I mean the food was, well, ok.  The salsa bar was unimpressive.  Salsa was just alright.  Salsa were ok, not great.
See, not much to say.  So the onions come into the restaurant and are either pre cut or they use a stamp, not a knife.  I would venture to guess that it is not a knife and not pre cut, because the tomatoes for the pico are also an exact 1/4 of an inch.

RATINGS:
ASADA: 3, not bad, not great.  Seasoning was alright.  Not too much, but had some flavor.
CARNITAS: 2, it is me.  They fry it.  It is just fried pork.  That is all that I can say.  Not bad, but I like the flavor of the slow roast.
LENGUA: 2, mine was way overcooked.  I mean it was mushy and falling apart.  I don't know if it was supposed to be shredded, it really was bad.  Don't eat it.
BUCHE: 3, lightly salted, crispy.  I liked it.  They do a nice job of getting the flavor, texture was on point.  Didn't blow me away, but was not bad.
PASTOR: 3, bit of a cumin overload.  Good stuff, but not great.  I thought it was alright.  I wouldn't go out of my way for it, but this stuff isn't bad.
SALSA VERDE: 2, I love lime, but this was way overload.  Points for being made in house, but just not amazing.
SALSA ROJO: 2, lime overload again?  Yeah, that is what I'm saying.  Smoky, but not bad.  It wasn't horrible, but still not a 3.

Question that is on your mind, should you go there?  Not a horrible idea.  It really wasn't bad.  Stop by and check it out if you are in the area, but don't go out of your way.  It is a "3" of a place overall.  Not bad, but nothing great, have I said that enough ways?  I'm just starting to ramble a bit here, so I'm going to sign off.

Thank you so much for reading and checking the blog out.  Please do tell your friends, Stay Excellent!

No comments:

Post a Comment