Wednesday, July 10, 2013

OotT: El Primo

Finally tracked down El Primo.  They were parked on Saticoy and Reseda last night.  I got there on my way home from work about 9:00pm.  Place is a nice truck.  Inside pretty clean.  I say check it out.  Ratings are solid, promise.  They advertise a Pastor being done on a spit.  They weren't joking.  Tried the normal.

All ratings are out of 5.  1 means, no!  2 means it was okay, but below average.  3 is solid, it means that it is good and should be tried.  4 is above average and it went above and beyond in flavor.  5 means, get off your ass and try this phenomenal shit!
Pastor:   4, legit.  Not enough pineapple flavor, but not overdone with achiote.  Little bit of spice to it.  This place is no Rincon Taurino, heck not even El Indio on Tampa and Roscoe, but solid.  I'd get their pastor over King's in LA.
Lengua:  2, it wasn't bad, wasn't very good.  It was so close to the Asada.  Maybe if they lay off the butter and let some of the flavors come out, we can call it a contender.  It is cut, not shredded tongue, which I can go either way on.
Buche:  3, average.  I mean just dead average.  They did a fine job, but it sure didn't blow me away.  I'd order it again, something to consider.
Asada: 1, it wasn't horrid, but nothing special.  Too finely chopped.  I mean come on, everyone does Asada.  Everyone in LA is looking for it, set yours apart.  Any finer chopped and you could have considered it ground.  Wouldn't order it for me again, maybe kids?
Barbacoa:  Didn't have it, so that sucked!
Salsas:  5, They had four different salsas, all were fantastic.  Yes, fantastic.  Spicy, flavorful, accessible and unlimited.  Loved the spicy green, it was not their verde, just a solid green, little bit of avocado in there, heck of kick, check it out!  They had pickled red onions that were second to none and really took the food up a notch.

You get to put on your own cilantro, onions and lime which I go back and forth on.  This location, it really worked and I dug it.  I'd recommend trying the place out.  If you want ground beef in a Mexican style taco, you've found your spot.  Pastor, totally worth it.  The rest seemed pretty solid.  You are looking at $1.50 a taco, which is pretty standard.  I will warn you, this is the small tortilla.  You do get a nice surprise, of a corn tortilla that is deep fried and has some damn good pinto beans on it.

SIDE NOTE:  Witnessed a great thing here.  A homeless women walked up, I was getting on my motorcycle to leave.  She was asking for money.  A guy sitting down on the folding chairs scattered around got up and bought her dinner.  It was cool to see this guy's son translate as his dad spoke no English but wanted to hook her up and his son was the vessel that made it happen.  Teach your kids to be the best, they will be.  She was crying, she was so happy.  Great to see a good person do a solid by the less fortunate.

No comments:

Post a Comment