Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Rigo's Tacos

Rigo's Tacos from San Fernando, now found in the Valley, specifically Northridge.  They have taken the spot of Little Cesar's on Parthenia and Lindley.  Well, they might as well have stayed in San Fernando.  I mean, come on.  If you have the reputation and following that you do in SF, I would expect a bit more when you move to Northridge.  If you have nine locations in two states, you have now been lost in translation and I'm sorry my friend, you are done.  If you are a fan of Rigo's, I send my condolences.  

They did have a nice salsa bar, and really just sprinkled the cilantro and onions, they of course had it set at the salsa bar when you need to add more.  The jalapenos they had on the bar were pickled but were great, firm and hot.  Radishes are available raw, it is a nice touch.

Salsas: 3, they were solid.  Didn't blow me away, but had nice citrus notes and were spicy, but not overpowering.
Buche: 4, very nice job.  Best part of the experience.  It was nicely stewed, well seasoned and had a bit of a good crispness to it.  
Asada: 1, I just asked for a little sample, it was sub par.  I don't even feel that print is deserved on this product.
Lengua: 1, wow, I'm shocked at how bad this was.  It made me sad.  It was stewed and by stewed, it tasted like it was soaked in hot water and a bit of salt was added.  Lengua is my favorite, they lost me at hello.
Pastor: 2, I mean really?  Come on guys.  It was burnt to a crisp.  The one piece I found in my taco that wasn't charred and by charred I mean burnt to Hades was ok.  The flavor was nice, not overpowering.  Maybe a bit to much achiote, but not way too much.

Wrap it up!  Here it is.  The table set ups are nice, oregano, salt, red pepper flakes, and Tapatio.  I dig that.  Salsa bar was solid and their two salsas were good, especially the verde.  This place knows how to use citrus which I really dig.  However, they don't know how to cook!  I mean dude, either way over or way under cooked.  Find a happy medium and get me excited about a taco in my face!  Thanks for reading everyone, much love from The Order of the Taco!


2 comments:

  1. I'm a fan of Rigo's always solid never the best but always good. This post makes me sad. The Rigos in Sylmar was always a standby for me

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monstrosity. I agree. Sylmar and San Fernando locations are WAY better. I stopped by Northridge and it tasted like a totally different place. I asked, they are owned by the same guys. It was a sad day for me.

    ReplyDelete