Thursday, August 22, 2013

El Don Pepe-Jefferson Park...Los Angeles

Order of the Taco
I really took one for the team here.  This might have, and by might have I mean by far is the worst place that I've been to.  Lets start with how I got here.  I was leaving a restaurant heading towards Home Office.  I was driving down beautiful Jefferson towards Culver City.  This vibrant neighborhood has some very interesting residents.  I knew I was going to be writing a bunch of 5's or a bunch of 2's.  You can guess by the tone, or just wait until you read below.

I pulled over at Ed Don Pepe's.  This place is sort of into/attached to a coin laundry mat.  Really cool people hanging out around here.  Many folks were eager to speak to me.  I know, I was the token motorcycle rider.  When I walked up to the counter area, there was a young lady that was ordering food.  Well, she was trying.  There was a huge language gap here.  Anyhow, the girl's total was $2.51.  She was unhappy with this.  She said that she only had $2.  She asked me for the $.51.  I told here that I had a penny and would be happy to give it to her, but that I didn't have that much change.  She told me that it was "bullshit" that I did not have the $.51 for her.  I apologized.  She then pulled another dollar out, shook her head at me and said "I guess I gots to give her another full dollar cause you ain't got me $.51!"  I again told her I embarrassed myself and apologized.

I finally got to order and was a bit taken back by the selection.  Pastor, Asada, Pollo.  Yep that is it.  She told me they also had some eggs, when I asked if that was really all that they had.  Really?  In this neighborhood, you have only those three options.  She said that they don't have time to do anything else.  This should have been the sign that I needed to know to walk away right then.  I tacoed on and decided to stay.  I asked the lady to make me four tacos, one of each and a second of their "best" meat.  I received two "asada" tacos and one each of "pastor" and "pollo."  Here's the thing, I have put them all in quotations because I know they may have had the intention of making those meats, I just don't think that they succeeded.


I wish I could give an "A" for effort, but no dice...

RATINGS:

POLLO: 1
, this dried piece of meat?  If I didn't see it put on the grill raw, I would not have believed that it was chicken.  There was no flavor or seasoning.
PASTOR: 1, WORST I've ever tasted.  It was burnt to a horrid crisp.  Never tasted any pineapple.  As a matter of fact, I love Ancho chilies, and they need to be a part of pastor, but it shouldn't be pork burned to a crisp after soaking with Ancho's.  Yeah, you might want to go back to the drawing board or just flat out not serving it!  HORRID!!!
ASADA: 1, I'll give her credit, this was the "best" thing that I ate there.  I'm being generous with the "1."  Salty, chewy, nasty.  Not gristle, chewy.  Yeah, I don't know how she made this so bad, but she did.
SALSA VERDE: 2, not disgusting, but close.  Tomatillos were old, peppers were not very flavorful, I'll have to honestly say that I could not really identify they flavor of the pepper.

I would encourage you to avoid this place.  I mean, just drive by really fast.  I don't mean to just knock a place, but it even took forever to get my "food."  So you know where not to go Jefferson and 7th Street.  Sorry I didn't have better news everyone.

Thanks for reading, please keep telling your friends, follow the blog and all of that other stuff that will make me feel better.  Stay Excellent!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment