Friday, August 23, 2013

El Faro, Sylmar/San Fernando, CA: WOW


To every ying, there is a yang.  A time to reap, a time to sew.  Yesterday was one of the worst visits I had to a restaurant in my entire existence.  If you did not read about it, check it out and fulfill that morbid curiosity that is looming inside of you.  Bask in your happiness of not having to endure the foul tastes and experience that I had to call "lunch" on Thursday.  Know this, Karma has come back to me today and apologized.  I have again fulfilled my Taco Destiny for the day.  It is amazing how much brighter the sun shines today.  The warm glow of its rays just make me feel better and better.  I think I even heard birds chirping a song for me as I left this rare gem, found in the foothills of Sylmar, CA.


El Faro is a recommendation from a genius of a woman.  A truly brilliant lady that has forever changed all of our lives by sharing this information with the right people.  Rosa Mora had passed the knowledge of this place onto me through my mother as they work together.  I have been thinking about going for some time, and the time became today.  I needed a "pick me up" after yesterday's fiasco.  I hoped that El Faro would deliver.  If you are familiar with the 118-210 interchange, then you are close.  It is right off of McClay, and I mean right off.  Just head toward San Fernando and just before you hit the sign, on the corner of McClay and Bromont you will find this place, you are welcome for passing this on.


Menu is good.  Great options, but sticks to what they know.  I can assure you, that if you walk in, see the spit going round and it looks right, it is.  I had to look around and noticed no grilled pineapple.  OK, I'm still interested.  You could smell this place from down the street.  Even if I was slumming it in my mommy's Lexus.  I know, I missed Dolly too.  The only thing that kept me going is the Blue Suede Shoes I'm wearing and channel 19, Elvis Radio on XM.  FYI, food flies out of this kitchen.  I barely finished paying and my food was ready.  I saw everyone's food coming out like this.  What a treat to see this team work like this.  Real teamwork.  I love it, it makes it so much better for my experience to see this.  My anticipation and excitement grew as I got my plate.



I had to head over to the massive, two picture salsa bar.  Red/Green salsa, fried jalepenos with salt on them, sauteed onions, cilantro, raw onions, limes, cucumbers, and on and on and on.  I was so excited I started to salivate more and more.  I mean this was exciting, really exciting.

This leads us to the table and the eating which was more then delightful, so without further a due, the Ratings...

RATINGS:
SALSA VERDE: 5, So spicy, so delicious, layered with flavor after flavor.  This coats your tongue from front to back and hits your throat with a delightful tingle.  It is a hot one, not for the fair tonged.
SALSA ROJO: 4, I liked it a ton, but 5's are not easy to come by, I mean they have to knock my socks off.  This stuff was good.  Juallios are involved and they were soaked in vinegar for sure, worth trying, I'd say it is a great compliment to the chicken and leaner meats, check out the verde for the fattier meats.
SALSA BAR: 5, no way this place could have gotten better.  This thing had it all and I'm about to weep just writing about it.
POLLO: 3, solid all the way through.  It was really good.  Light, seasoned, not overcooked.  I think it is very good and has solid neutral flavors that kids and adults alike will enjoy.
TRIPA: 4, they know what they are doing.  One bite and you will taste what I mean.  This stuff was succulent.  If you don't like tripa or think you don't, try this, you might have your mind changed.
LENGUA:  4, what?  There is another above 3?  I'm shocked too, but when someone deserves it, they get it.  This stuff is something special.  Soft, but good, cut nicely, not too big, not too small.  Boiled, then hits the flat top is my guess, nicely done.
ASADA: 5, I'll preface this with, I don't know if we'll ever see a 5 on Asada again.  This is a hard one for me to say above 3.  They cook with something, I'm not sure what, but I'm going back to taste it out.  This is not your abuela's Asada.  this is some interesting, complex stuff.
PASTOR: 5, yeah, I mean it.  This is Rincon Taurino good.  I mean, the business, right here.  They put cold pineapple on top, didn't think I was going to enjoy, I normally don't, but I was proven wrong at first bite.  WOW, great job.


A fried little corn tortilla finds its way onto your plate.  It is perfect.  Great for scooping and tasting the salsa, but not distracting.  The guys and gal working there are great.  I was talking to them post meal and loved their time.  I really think that if you are experimenting with tacoterring, you need to check this place out, you will not be disappointed.

A very special thank you to Rosa Mora.  She directed me towards this place and says they have a truck that upholds the amazing integrity that the restaurant has.  Rosa, you will forever be a friend and advisor of The Order of the Taco.  If anyone has sent me a place, I'll get there, Rosa set the bar pretty high on this one!  Thanks Rosa!


Thanks to everyone who is following and getting the blogs sent to their email, please tell your friends, enemies, acquaintances and passer byes!  Stay Excellent Everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment