Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Mi Mexico Taqueria, Roswell, GA

What a crazy day.  My flight was delayed, I witnessed the idiot that drove me nuts on the plane break the door and shut down the train at the Atlanta Airport.  I mean, come on!  I finally get to my rental car and it is a Ford Festiva, not quite my size or speed.  My hotel was a mess.  I had to change rooms three times, yeah, I know, living the dream.  Needless to say, I was starving by the time I got to work.  You'd think this would be a good thing as I work in a restaurant, but no, I wanted tacos.  So tacos I should have.  I did a walk through, spoke to the crew and asked them where to go.  I don't think they really understood that I write a taco blog, yes, I did tell them over and over.  They pointed me towards this little gem.

Mi Mexico Taqueria....this place is great.  It is a grocery store in a strip mall a little North of downtown Roswell, GA.  I walk in and take a look around.  I can dig it.  Pretty normal family owned grocery store.  Place was sort of clean, looked fun.  I'd shop there, I'd just lie to my wife about it.  Good thing she doesn't always read the blog, she might find out where I go grocery shopping.  I walk to the back and there is three sort of tables and a little counter.  I walk up and am not too sure if this is a guy or a girl who is staring at me with an insane amount of hatred.  I stuck with my strengths, played stupid and began to order in English with a Southern accent.  It then tells me that they had no lengua and it seemed shocked that lengua was the first thing that I tried to order.  It said back, "no, we no have no no tongue for today or maybe tomorrow."  I nodded and continued my order.  Everything looked pretty solid.  This individual then makes my order.  I watched as the tortillas were pressed out by hand.  The meat was cut and put on the grill.  When they were short, they went over to the meat counter and grabbed what was needed.  I loved it.

Food is done and individual actually walked it right by me as I was standing there and put in on the table and looked at me and pointed to the food.  I then noticed a small stitching on the apron that said "Stephanie."  I thanked Stephanie for bringing the food out.  She scowled at me and shook her head.  I think it was her apron, I mean, she was wearing it and I'm a taco lover, not a mind reader!  I sit down to eat.  Holy delicious taco, she knew what she was doing!  Food was great.  Made a bit different then I'm use to, but legit.  I wouldn't be embarrassed to take people that I like in here.

RATINGS:
Tortilla: 4, this is no Guisados or Los Cincos Puntos, it is not even that car wash in Birmingham that I still dream of, but they are above average tortillas.
Chicharron: 1, please crisp it a little.  When it tastes like slime, I just don't love it.  I really think that you need to make this stuff edible.  It is like eating a raw jellyfish, and no one wants that.
Carnitas: 3, this is a borderline 4.  I really liked what she had going here.  Stuff was moist, juicy, delightful, but it just didn't push me over the edge.
Pastor: 3, ugh, I really wanted to post a 4 here.  The stuff is cooked then finished on the flat top with onions and pineapple that were so amazing.  They were cooked to where they were almost burnt, but pulled off in time.  Sadly, there was zero salt and Pastor needs it.  With the use of the chilies, it craves salt, sorry, you stay a 3.
Barbacoa: 3, so psyched to see this on the menu and it is made with goat, like it should be.  This slow cooked goodness was stewing on her sort of steam table.  I really was happy with it, but again, lacked some salt and pepper.  They did do a nice job overall.
Asada: 5, what?  A 4 on Asada, isn't that against the rules of the Order of the Taco?  I know, but this stuff was something really special.  It was good.  Grilled over an open flame with salt, pepper, lime, red wine vinegar, cilantro and garlic, then finished on a flat top.  Holy amazing Asada, forget it, I'm changing this to a 5 but am not rewriting everything, you get the point, it was stellar.
Red Salsa: 3, not a true rojo, but delicious.  Solid all the way through.  I though the flavors were pronounced and nice.
Green Salsa: 4, I know a solid four at that!  Had some avocado chunks and was darn spicy.  I really liked this stuff.  It complimented everything and was great by itself.

So, one of the rudest people that I've ever encountered, I'd go back in a heartbeat.  It was so over the top and hard to understand that it just made the experience better.  I would say go, go whenever you are in the Atlanta greater area.  Place is totally worth it.  The two folks that were working the market seemed really cool.  The meat looked great and I love the support of the local business.  Go see Stephanie, if that is her name and if that is a her, she is worth the price of admission.  Tacos were only $1.50 each, and were huge.  I couldn't finish the five I ordered and that's not just because the chicharron was horrible.

I can't say enough thank yous to anyone and everyone for reading.  I really do appreciate it.  As always, please tell your friends, foes and strangers and Stay Excellent!

No comments:

Post a Comment