Friday, August 2, 2013

El Charro, Los Angeles



Proven fact, tears from the right eye first are tears of happiness.  I cannot say that I cry often, but when I do, it means something.  I cried in an open crowd at a restaurant in Los Angeles, CA.

Started my morning working in Westlake knowing that I was driving out to USC for the afternoon and evening to help train a new addition to our home office team.  My Taco Destiny was immediately in play.  I got off the 101 at Benton knowing that I was going to drive some random streets until I found the right place.  I passed some promising places.  I almost went off the map and went to an El Salvadorian joint.  Then, I saw the right thing at the right time.  A super ghetto sign flashing together letters that I live to see next to each other, PASTOR!  I pulled over to this little gem, parked the bike right there on 6th avenue and got ready to see what the sign was all about.  El Charro can be found on 6th Ave. in between the Union St split.

Menu had quite a bit going on.  Affordable as could be.  There was burritos, tacos, sopes, taquitos, plates, great variety.  The joint is small.  I mean small.  Counter is crammed and the register barely fit on there.  Anyways, the selection was pretty solid.  I hit the norms.  Ticket time was pretty good considering how busy they were.  I'm throwing out a warning.  DO NOT go by yourself unless you are larger in stature.  You may not be comfortable with the clientele that was in here.  If you have a buddy, pal, large male friend or a crazy obsession with the perfect tortilla'd meal, you will not be disappointed with this place.

Lets get to the food:
Asada: 2, this was the only disappointing thing of the visit.  It was cooked nicely, just didn't have enough flavor.  I probably should have added salt.  It was not horrible, but asada is so everywhere, that it should just be right.
Pastor: 4, YES.  YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES.  This did a nice job here.  No top 5, but damn good.  The flavors were melded together well.  They know enough to not cook this too quickly.  It was done very well, I recommend for sure.
Birria: 3, yes my friends, you read that right.  They do shredded beef.  It was good.  It would have been a 4, but there was so much water that it dissolved part of my tortilla.  Really enjoyed seeing and eating this.
Cabeza: 3, this was solid.  Very nice.  Crispy ends, but soft in the middle.  I liked it.  Worth a try.
Lengua: 4, This was exciting.  I like this stuff.  Very good.  Cuts were consistent and nice.  Very nicely seasoned.
Salsa: 5, there was a lot of good things about this visit, but this was the best part.  The pico was not spicy, it was on fire.  They had a salsa I've never tried and it made my day.  It also made me sweat.  Their salsa were all awesome and the pickled jalepeno's were crunchy and nice.  I really liked everything about their salsa.  Truthfully I want to fill the hot tub with this stuff and enjoy it all over and over.

Dollar tacos.  Seriously, just a dollar.  There was no tax or hidden stuff.  The lengua was an extra $.25.  Worth it!  Check this place out.  I'm usually working near USC/Downtown LA when I'm home, call, text me, we can go, you will not be disappointed.

Thanks everyone for reading, please tell your friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment